Monday 8 July 2013

Butterfly time

Its that quiet time of year for birds & birding when we go chasing after other winged creatures to satisfy our "collecting" urge (as in collecting species seen, not physically capturing them). This year I have managed to see a few species of butterfly that I have not seen or photographed before. These included the tiny Small pearl-bordered fritillary & Marsh fritillary. I have also had a massive influx of Meadow browns in my garden over the last week & a few Marbled whites, both of which i have not seen here before. What is missing this year so far is Holly blue which I can usually find in my front hedge. I may have had a fleeting glimpse the other day but it was too far away & too brief to be sure. Some of the following shots are recent & some are from previous years.
Large skipper
Large skipper

Large blue

Marbled white
Marsh Fritillary

Marsh Fritillary

Meadow brown

Purple hairstreak

Purple hairstreak

Silver-washed fritillary

Silver-washed fritillary

Small pearl-bordered fritillary

Small pearl-bordered fritillary

Small skipper

No comments:

Post a Comment